COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions

We have put together some frequently asked questions to help our patients, and also help our team, who are getting many of the same queries come through to them.

Please remember the guidance is constantly evolving. We will update this page frequently.


I’m worried I have symptoms, where do I get help?

Ideally you would visit If you don’t have online access, call 111.


What is a "continuous cough"?

This means coughing a lot for more than an hour or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours. (If you usually have a cough, it may be worse).


Where can I get more information on vulnerable groups?

Information at


I have been Shielding and now my Employer wants me to return to the work place?

Shielding officially ended on Wednesday 31st March 2021, from this date emplyers can request that individuals return to the work place. If you feel this is not appropriate, you would need to discuss this with your emplyer / occupational health in the first instance.


My employer wants a fit note for self-isolation - how do I get this?

We are not able to provide a fit note for patients who are self-isolating. Instead you should visit


Do I need to tell you or 111 I am self-isolating?

There is no need to inform anyone you are self-isolating. Contact 111 only if your symptoms need medical help.


I’ve not heard back from 111 can you help me instead?

Currently, all patients with a fever or new persistent cough who are in need of medical help must visit 111 online or call 111. NHS 111 are extremely busy, but will give you a timeframe for a return call. If your condition deteriorates, you may consider attending A&E or calling 999, but please remember these services are also under great pressure.

We do not currently have the infrastructure or equipment to see patients with symptoms in the practice – please do not call us or come to the practice; rather wait for your call back from 111.


NHS111 have told me I probably have Coronavirus. I need medical help, and 111 have told me to get medical help from my GP - how do I do this?

Please call us for a telephone assessment from the GP, who may be able to assist you by telephone or video.


What if I've been told I have Coronavirus, or I am isolating due to a household member having symptoms, and my problem can't be dealt with over the phone?

You should call the practice for an assessment with the GP remotely initially. If they decide that you do need to be seen, you will be made an appointment at the local 'Hot Practice'.

In line with NHS England recommendations, the practice is now closed for face to face consultations for patients experiencing high risk symptoms of COVID-19 (new persistent cough and fever >37.8c). Patients with COVID-19 symptoms who are deemed by a clinician to require a face to face consultation will now be seen at the locality ‘'Hot Site’ based in Romsey.

We have separated the clinic to reduce the risk to our patients and staff of cross contamination and to rationalise our limited Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) stock.


I’m self-isolating how do I order my repeat medication?

If you have set up your account online through one of the online providers, you can order your medications there. You are able to set up the NHS App yourself, which is preferable to coming to the practice to show ID.


I’m self-isolating, and I don’t have online access

If you don’t have online access, and you are unable to leave the house, please call us to have an individual discussion.


I’ve not had an inhaler for a while can I get a new one?

If your inhaler has expired, it has run out, or you don’t currently have one, the best way to request a new one is using online services.

If the inhaler is no longer on your repeat medication, please submit an eConsult. If you require it because you currently have problems with your asthma / other lung disease, please use the appropriate pathway (e.g. breathing difficulties). If you have no current problems but need a new inhaler, use the administration pathway.


I’m worried about bringing my baby for immunisations, can I delay?

We are currently recommending that you still bring your child in for their immunisations, unless they have a cough or fever.


I’m due a blood test for my INR monitoring, should I still come in?

Yes, unless you have a cough or fever. It is important to continue monitoring your bloods for medications if you have already been asked to do this.


I’m due a blood test for my INR monitoring but I’m self-isolating, how do I get this done? Can it wait?

It is important to continue monitoring your bloods for medications if you have already been asked to do this. If you are self-isolating for 2 weeks or are unwell, please contact the practice by telephone for advice.


I’ve had a baby recently – how will I get the baby check?

We are currently completing our baby checks at the same time as their 8 week immunisations to reduce footfall in the practice. This will automatically be booked at the same time.


Can I get three months of medication?

We are complying with national advice and issuing the normal supply of medication to prevent shortages at pharmacies. There is no need to stockpile as there is plenty of supply if everyone manages their medication responsibly.


I can’t get any paracetamol / calpol in the shops; can I have it on prescription?

We are complying with national advice and not offering prophylactic pain relief on prescription. Please speak to your pharmacist for advice on how to obtain this over the counter.


I’ve heard I shouldn’t be taking my NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen); do I need to speak to a GP?

NHS England is currently recommending patients take paracetamol rather than NSAIDS if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. This is because there is some evidence that NSAIDS can affect the ability of the body to respond to this infection. Patients who take NSAIDS for other conditions can continue to take these are normal.


I want to be medically prepared – what should I have at home?

The most important measure to help make you comfortable is good hydration. Paracetamol can help with fever or pain (make sure you follow the instructions on the patient leaflet). A thermometer can be useful for small children if they are being managed through telephone or video advice from a clinician. More information regarding children and managing their illnesses is at


How do I get the latest information about the practice?

This website and our Facebook page will be updated regularly with helpful information.